I Am My Fathers Daughter - An Open Letter on Father's Day



Dear Pappie, 

I was casually chatting with someone about my analytical brain, how I crave understanding and love interpreting data to find useful information and meaning and they laughingly responded, "Well you are your fathers daughter, aren't you?" It's not the first time someone has said that. In fact I think I've had at least 20 people this year alone tell me how much I'm like you, dad.

I can't listen to Jim Croce, Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, The Chi-Lites, or any oldies music, without picturing myself back in the car with just you, telling me about each of these artists and sharing your love of music with me.

I can't watch a musical without thinking of you humming along or telling me something about the score or film that I didn't know.

I can't have a conversation with a student or recent college graduate without asking them their major, how they decided to pursue it, what they hope to do in life and if they need help with their resume... something I constantly saw and heard you doing growing up.

I can't see someone in need without wanting to have a full blown counseling session with them and giving them a safe space as you've always done when you've seen my heart in need of processing.

I can't think of my graduate program or the counseling center without thinking about you paving the way for me to pursue the same thing that you did.

I can't have a tough day at work without thinking about how many tough days at work you've had and yet still pushed through to do your job so well.

I can't take a walk in the forest without thinking about how you would be spouting out the types of trees, how to tell the difference in the leaves, or random outdoor survival skills and interesting facts if you were with me.

I can't get away from exploring new books and wanting to converse about them without thinking of all the books you've read and all the times you've shared what you've learned with me and those around you.

I can't talk to someone in the military without thinking of, or referencing your 20-year military career and leadership ethics.

I can't pursue my relationship with my heavenly Father without thinking how sweet it is to have an earthly father love me so well.

As the years have gone by and I've grown older, I'm finding it hard to go a day without thinking about you or acting in way that is inspired by your example. To have someone say that I am my fathers daughter is one of the biggest compliments I could ever receive. I see how tirelessly you work to be an excellent steward of all that you have been entrusted with in life. I see you love mom so well, your parents so well, your children and grandchildren so well. I see you respecting others and lifting them up in your place of work and in your everyday interactions. I see you continually seeking growth with an ever-curious mind, an ever-open heart and an ever-compassionate spirit. I see you staying steadfast to righteousness and truth, forever uplifting what is good and virtuous. I see you sharing abundantly with those around you, spreading what you have been given and worked hard for so that others may benefit. I see you constantly laying down your life so that others may live more fully. And I see you taking the burden of so many hardships to show grace so beautifully.

I can't imagine a world where you aren't. You have shaped me, molded me, encouraged me, held me and inspired me when I have needed it most. And on the off-chance that you aren't reminded of it every day, I love you so very much for every singular thing you have done to grow me into the woman I am today. As Simon & Garfunkel put it, you're a bridge over troubled waters. You have laid yourself down so that my mind may be eased.

I treasure your soul and will forever praise God for placing it as father in my life.

I will always be my fathers daughter,
Sarah 

Comments

Popular Posts