wednesday night: candy

So yesterday I told you I was going to write about my adventures with Chawlie and Ellie, but I got back too late to write. Anywho; we had a laid back night. Watched Mario and Luigi, ate dinner, played hide-n-seek, had a bath, read several books and hopped in bed. Still, I had a lot of fun with them. When I got there, I was warned that if I heard any of the kids whispering, then it was probably because they wanted candy. (You know, all the candy leftover from Christmas can't be eaten at one time, so it must be eaten gradually) ;) I was instructed that there was to be no more candy if youthful mind were suddenly to have the urge for chocolate M&M's.

The whole night, not one request for candy, so I thought all was well. After the lights were turned out and I was placing Ellie in the crib, I heard the faintest whisper.

"What, Ellie?" I asked. (slightly confused too, because she never asks for anything before bed.)

There was a slight pause, cock of the head and then another whisper, "Candy?"

It was all I could do not to burst out laughing, so I refrained. I felt so bad having to tell those big baby browns that she couldn't have anymore, but I had to.

"No, sorry Ellie. No candy tonight...would you like some water?"

Again, a pause and cock of the head. A turned up smile covered her face, "Candy?" she whispered again.

This time I laughed, but said no again and offered her water. She couldn't seem to make up her mind, but then finally decided a 'yes' when she smiled again and whispered, "Water?"

The water was given, the covers were pulled over and tucked in, and the babysitter went on to study.

Comments

Popular Posts